Frying a Turkey

Turkey Frying- Are we starting to see a pattern here or what....
I think it is because I grew up on fried food. Fried chicken, homemade french fries,  etc. My mom even fried our corn tortillas when we made tacos. Yep...lots of fried foods.

Every Thanksgiving, my work gives me a turkey. It is a very nice gesture on their part, but it has taken me until now to actually eat said turkey. And I thought, why not fry it? Yep, no good excuse not to.

A few years ago we tried our first fried turkey and let me just say I really don't want turkey any other way (although my mom does make a FREAKING GREAT turkey - so, I think I will take that back). Fried turkey is super moist though...and the skin is oh so crispy. Mmm crispy skin (say that in your best Homer Simpson voice). To make our deep fried turkey even more delicious, I always brine it for a few days too. I think it adds extra moisture and when it comes to turkey, extra moist is always good.







Brine
Basically, you take equal parts sugar and salt and dissolve in water (1 cup of each works well - I use brown sugar, not white sugar). After you have done that, throw in your favorite fresh herbs - rosemary, thyme, sage, garlic, etc. Put your turkey in this happy little bath and let it soak (refrigerate of course). You can also use lemons and oranges in the mix too...just squeeze a couple into the mixture, throw in the peels too and you are set. Let this whole thing brine for 24-48 hours. Here is the brine recipe I typically use:

  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup kosher salt
  • 2 oranges (cut in 1/8ths)
  • 2 lemons (cut in 1/4ths)
  • Bunch rosemary, sage, and thyme
  • Fresh cracked peppercorns
  • Water - you need enough so your turkey is fully submerged and covered - 2+ gallons

After your turkey has been in the brine for 1 to 2 full days, rinse it off and pat dry. Season with your favorite dry rub. If you are frying your turkey, you should let it drain for an hour and shove some paper towels in the cavity to soak up the extra moisture. Then, after it has drained, make sure you season it up. If you don't let it drain, you will have a disaster with your turkey fryer. Yes, you would be the person on the news who lit their house and their neighbors house on fire. I don't think you want that.

For frying, get your oil up to temp (350 degrees). Lower your turkey in very slowly, and cook for 3 to 3.5 minutes per pound. Take it out and let it rest for about 15 minutes. Carve it up and enjoy.

I bet you are craving some turkey now! Well, I am still - good thing I have lots of leftovers.


Here is a video of what NOT to do when frying a Turkey! 

No comments:

Post a Comment