Chicken and Dumplings

I was hesitant at first because I am not a fan of soggy anything and I quickly thought the dumplings would be soggy. I'm glad I was wrong! I used to just use the canned biscuits to make dumplings then decided I would start experimenting with my own recipe. I think I have it down pretty solid at this point.



Yes, that creaminess comes from the dumplings - not cream!


For the soup…
  • 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1” cubes
  • 1 medium onion diced
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 4 stalks celery diced
  • 4-5 carrots peeled and diced
  • 2 teaspoons fresh thyme chopped fine
  • 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary chopped fine
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • Salt and pepper to taste

For the dumplings…
  • 2 cups baking mix (Bisquick)
  • ½ to 2/3 cup milk
  • 2 teaspoons unsalted butter melted
  • 2 teaspoons fresh thyme chopped fine
  • 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary chopped fine
Brown your chicken in a large pot. Add in the onion, garlic, celery, carrots, and herbs and stir to combine. Cover with chicken broth and salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer for at least an hour, but longer if you have it.

For the dumplings - In a large mixing bowl, mix together all ingredients. These will be a little bit sticky, but should have a thick, cake-like consistency. You can make these ahead and stick in the refrigerator until you are ready to add them.

Twenty five minutes before you are ready to serve, drop your dumplings spoonful by spoonful into your soup mixture. Put the lid on and let simmer for 15 minutes. Turn the dumplings over and cover again. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Stir and serve.

These dumplings are delicate until they are cooked - don’t fuss with them too much or they will fall apart.

Enjoy...

No comments:

Post a Comment